More than 900 million people will vote at 1 million polling booths spreading across 29 states and the 7 union territories. More numbers for you, as the people of India will elect 543 heads to the Lok Sabha. And as described by the Election Commission of India, it will be the world’s biggest democratic poll and participation from 11th April to 19th May 2019.
Chief election commissioner Sunil Arora announced that the counting of votes will be done on May 23, which 11 days before the 16th Lok Sabha term finale on June 3. What needs to be quoted here, the Tweet by Prime Minister Narendra Modi “The festival of democracy, elections are here, I urge my fellow Indians to enrich the 2019 Lok Sabha elections with their active participation. I hope this election witnesses a historic turnout. I particularly call upon first time voters to vote in record numbers.”
Here are some FACTS worth knowing about Elections in India:
1. The number of eligible voters is 4 times the number of voters in the United States and more than the entire population of Europe.
2. About 84.3 million people joined the electoral rolls since the 2014 general election, whereas 15 million are between the ages of 18 and 19
3. Elections in independent India were first held in 1951-52
4. Electronic Voting Machines were first used in India in the general elections held in 2004.
Here are the 7 things YOU should know about the General Elections 2019 :
1. The electorate polls will take place in seven phases — on April 11, 18, 23, 29, May 6, 12 and 19 and cover every inch of the country, from Himalayas in the north to deserts in the west, to tropical jungles in the centre and the coastal plains in the south.
2. Along with the elections to the Lok Sabha, assembly elections will be held in four states of Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh.
3. Elections in Jammu and Kashmir, which is currently under President’s Rule and in a sensitive state due to tensions between India and Pakistan, will be announced at a later date.
4. The EC announced new measures, like the as Voter Verified Paper Audit Trails in all voting machines to end any doubts of vote cast and photographs of the candidates in EVM
5. There is also an app for voters on Google Play store, to report violations of any manner at any booths or centres.
6. The model code of conduct has been extended to social media this time, with the poll panel saying all political advertisements would have to be scrutinized by a media commission set up by the EC, and all social media expenditure accounted for.
7. The Maternity Benefit Act 2016-Increasing maternity leave in the organised sector and Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Yojna, are being considered as the ‘ X Factor’ that will swing votes towards the party who introduced it.
Also, here is the Full Schedule at-a glance for you :
Lok Sabha elections in India are a mind-boggling affair and PM Modi has welcomed the efforts of the EC, saying the country was proud of the poll panel, he tweeted “Guided by ‘Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikas’, NDA seeks your blessings again. We spent the last five years fulfilling basic necessities that were left unfulfilled for 70 long years. Now, time has come to build on that and create a strong, prosperous & secure India,”.