Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping concluded the 1st day of the 2-day informal trade meet at the beautiful beach resort in Tamil Nadu’s famous Mamallapuram. Both the charismatic leaders discussed trade, defence and terror threats. The informal summit was held in the historic coastal town of Mamallapuram, where the PM and Xi visited a UN Heritage temple complex, witnessed cultural shows and had several rounds of talks.
Mamallapuram was a special place for both India-China what with long-standing trade and cultural link between Tamil Nadu’s coastal areas and China’s Fujian province. Among the many key discussions and decisions taken at the summit, between the 2 nations, Both Xi and Modi said that India and China now need to look to the future.
Here are the 10 Key Highlights from the summit:
*The most important discussion was a High-level economic dialogue mechanism, which was proposed to reduce trade deficit, improve bilateral investment .
*The two leaders agreed that both countries must work together to deal with the challenge of terrorism. Both are leaders of countries which are large in terms of areas and population but more so in terms of cultural and religious diversity
* The 2 leaders agreed to take measures to improve the mutual trust between the militaries of the 2 nations. An invitation has been extended to Indian Defence Minister to visit China soon.
* Kashmir issue was not raised and not discussed.
* President Xi said better facilities will be provided for yatris going to the Mansarovar Yatra and Prime Minister Modi suggested a number of ideas on the connection between state of Tamil Nadu and the Fujian province in China.
* It was discussed that the citizens of both countries must be brought into the mutual beneficial relationship. 70 events will be held in both for people-to-people contact. PM Modi felt greater emphasis must be laid on tourism.
*On the climate change, Modi and Xi emphasized about efforts being made in their respective countries to address global developmental challenges and the Sustainable Development Goals.
*On the timeframe, for both the nations to actualise these decisions taken at the informal summit will be done in less than a year.
*President Xi Jinping also invited PM Modi to China for the next summit. PM Modi has accepted the invitation.
* PM Narendra Modi gifted Chinese President Xi Jinping a hand-woven silk portrait of the leader. The portrait has been created by weavers from Tamil Nadu’s Coimbatore.
The informal summit between the two leaders was highly productive and PM Modi said, “We have decided that we will manage our differences prudently and won’t allow them to turn into disputes.” Now that’s a wise and true statement!